Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Years Prayer 2012

I have never given a lot of thought to New Years.  I wasn't raised on starting the year over, the fresh start.  Growing up, we practiced the opportunity to start over any day we choose.  I remember having a conversation with my Dad about this one year and that is exactly what he said.  It stuck with me.  It doesn't have to be January 1st to have a new beginning.

This year feels a little different.  In the car yesterday, I heard, on our local Christian radio station, a discussion about resolutions.  The host suggested an "un-resolution."  She suggested a website that was promoting selecting a word to stick with all year.  A word that would define your year.  I thought that was an excellent idea.  The caller chose improvement and the host chose submission.

This conversation reminded me of a theme that has been rolling around in my brain for 3-4 years now.  A concept that I haven't been able to fully act on it because I lacked the strength and endurance.  But this year feels like the time to act.  So, I selected my theme word for 2012. 

Consistent. 

There are so many areas of my life I want to make permanent, lasting change.  Behaviors, thought-patterns, uses for my money, acts of service.  But being consistent in my life involves making sure I am consistent with my God.  I want to leave behind more of myself in 2011 and make 2012 a year full of God.  Full of His glory, things done for His glory.  So, I wrote this prayer I am going to try and consistently pray every day of 2012.  It's on my PrayerMate App, set to come up each day I log in.  I don't know if that will be every day, but I'd like to be more consistent about that too - less excuses to keep me from sitting down in prayer.  I hope it inspires you to find your own connection with The Lord, a word or discipline or thought or action that defines your relationship with Him and this year.   

Lord, please reveal through Your Word ways to strengthen my consistency in loving and serving You and others; giving to the ministries you want us to invest in; and developing the truth in my life, my schedule and in the lives of others.  

Renew my desire and endurance to spend time with you in prayer daily and help me to remember how faithful You are to increase my ability to be faithful to You and Your plan for my life, the life of my husband and children.   

Please help me to remember to run to You in all situations and be consistent in healthy care of my body, which is Your Temple.  Help me to hear and follow the consistent call of Your Spirit in my heart.
 
Thank You Lord for all the innumerable blessings and help me to be consistent in giving You all the glory!  In Jesus Name, Amen.

No comments: