Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Wednesdays of Wonder - The Baby Sees Angels

This is a new series on this blog.  It's been awhile since I've started something like this but it's not a new idea.  I know a lot of pretty incredible, deeply faithful people who've experienced God in ways that are without a doubt real, even if they leave us with the hair on the back of our necks standing up.  I've been wanting to document some of their experiences for some time, for the legacy they leave.

With this idea in mind, I posted on my Facebook page yesterday: When God breaks into your reality, the experience is not going to leave you confused. He is the God of clarity & order, not contradiction. It's going to line up with His Word, You may not be able to process it all at once but when you encounter The Lord, your deepest heart of hearts is healed.  He works at that level.

This is a weary world.  There is no better time to share the news the Good News: God is real and He is real in the Person of Jesus Christ.  We must, as a Church, share what we know, even if it doesn't always make sense in the natural.  It is the most important message, we as Christians, carry into this weary world each day.

There is so much bad news out there.  Let's turn the tide and show people God isn't dead and He cares - more than we can ever imagine.  If you have an undeniable encounter with the Lord, please share.  (Email me at amysvogel@hotmail.com) Angels not required, even though we seem to experience that a lot in this house!  It can be about anything that lines up with the power of the Holy Spirit, an experience you know without a doubt it is God breaking into your reality.  That is Who I want to glorify here, always! 

He is called Wonderful Counselor.  So, let us share in His wonder!

I've written before about the two experiences of angelic encounters when Sophia was in treatment.  I thought those were miraculous and I couldn't explain it.  But this is a whole other level.

Last fall, one of my prayer group leaders prayed over the baby - Ella Grace.  She was having some separation anxiety when she was in a particular area of the house, which was/is not typical of her.  It was more than annoying, it was getting me a little worried.  She would just wail if Dave or I put her down and walked away just a few steps.  So, my leader prayed this part of Psalm 91 over her:

For He will give His angels orders concerning you, to protect you in all your ways.  They will support you with their hands so that you will not strike your foot against the stone.

It was very sweet and I left feeling like something got done for us, spiritually-speaking.  It did, Ella stopped her wailing that night.  However, little did I know when Leslie prayed for the angels to show up, they would never leave.

It started off small - before she was really verbal, she would stare off into the dark corner of her room and smile. Then, a few months later, she started waving to the open hallway.  Then she started "chatting" with "someone" right at her door frame.  Once she started making the sound for "birdie" ("DEE-DEE"), she started pointing at that same spot in the hallway, right out her bedroom.

No one else around.  And certainly not directed at me or Dave.

The last time she's really done it was nearly two weeks ago, when we were Indiana to say goodbye to Mable, Dave's grandmother.  She hit fussy for nap time right as the memorial service started, so I took her to the infant room of the church to rock her.  It dawned on me this was the room in which Dave's grandmother worked.  I was rocking her precious baby great-granddaughter in what was probably the chair she rocked countless babies in. It was a poignant moment and I took the chance then to say goodbye to my dear friend Mable.

Ella was drifting off to sleep when all of a sudden she perked up, looked over my right shoulder (as usual) and said "BIRDIE!!"  She smiled, waved, gave me a kiss and dropped off to sleep.

I know the line between Heaven and Earth was extremely thin in that moment.  I will never forget just how close to the Divine we were.  Ella seems to be aware more than most of us, fulfilling the words of Jesus (quoting Psalm 8) in Matthew 21:15-16,

You have prepared praise from the mouths of children and nursing infants.

God breaks in.  Hope is confirmed.  Love is poured out.  Glory to God. Amen.

No comments: