Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Vacation Hangover

Have you ever been on vacation?

Of course - something like 98% of Americans go on vacation every summer. (Ok, I made up that statistic but it seems realistic.)

Do you keep up with your quiet time on vacation?

Ok - here comes the blog confession - I don't. In fact, even in the days leading up to my vacation I didn't. I washed. I folded. I packed. I slept. I cleaned. But I didn't pray or read The Word. In fact, that's been a good example of this whole summer.

I have finally reached the point of sickness. Not illness, self-sickness. I'm tired of myself and the problem really amounted to being away from The Lord. I forgot the joy of my salvation (Psalm 51:12). I forgot what it was like to be at peace in my heart (Numbers 6:26).

Then I felt guilty. I was ashamed at my selfishness. Even after all this time, I can still so easily make it all about me. I know what He has called me to do but yet I still choose to sleep in or watch TV or do chores when I should be spending time with Him. When I did try to pray, I felt blocked. When I read The Word, no real meaning came.

I can't say I'm 100% but it is clear to me now that I don't have to be. It's like I'm at the airport and I have a choice between walking by myself or getting on the moving walkway. I can keep going my own way, in my own strength. Or I can get on His path and let Him show me where to go. I can let Him carry me, baggage free, or I can do all the work.

My faithfulness and righteousness do not define my faith. My ability to be consistent has no bearing on my salvation. My daily quiet time does not change the way it really is.

His faithfulness and grace are what matters. His consistency all the way to The Cross is what saves me. His patience with me when I stray is the way it really is.

Amen and Amen.

No comments: