Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Wednesdays of Wonder - A Little Child Shall Hear

Last week when I was working on this series, my oldest daughter, Natalie (who is 10) came in.  I was trying to do some work before school (like now).  I told her what I was writing and she went to take her shower.  After she got ready, she came back in and asked me if I would put her story up as one of my posts.

At first I was dubious, I hate to admit.  Her experience wasn't exactly what I would classify as WONDER-filled.  I thought that because, frankly, what she experienced happens to me all the time.  God downloads stuff into me all day, if I'm listening.  I didn't think it was THAT big of a deal.

But she did.

Quickly I realized my hesitation was all because of pride.  I wasn't seeing her experience from her perspective.  It was huge to her, that she prayed and God answered her with something so remarkably clear.  It proved to her God's love and care and that HE DOES SPEAK TO US.  My ego got the better of me because I'd forgotten it is special to hear from GodIt is remarkable and WONDER-filled!  I wasn't any better than the Disciples who lived everyday with Jesus and then tried to shoo away the little children because they didn't think they were important.  In Mark 10, Jesus said,

"Let the little children come to Me.  Don't stop them for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.  I assure you: Whoever does not welcome the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." After taking them in His arms, He laid His hands on them and blessed them. (Mark 10:14-16)

Well, Jesus made it clear, children and child-like faith ARE important.  My choice was plain and simple: Either go by my own thoughts about this series, or trust in my great God who clearly, obviously loves my children.  Do I trust myself or trust God? 

It's a seminal question we must answer in a thousand different situations.  God does test us, not to punish us, but to reveal what is in our hearts.  He wants to conform us into the image of His Son.  Sometimes that means facing ourselves in the mirror.  So, if Jesus loved, accepted and blessed children, the Lord showed me I must to do the same.

(And never mind the miracle of God speaking to my child!  That alone, by itself, with nothing else, is worthy of eternal praise.  The eyes and ears of her heart are tuned to Him - Hallelujah!)

I am deeply humbled and honored today to share with you my daughter's WONDER-ful experience in hearing from God.  She received His direction in a difficult situation, one that has major implications for the rest of her life.  Now, onto Natalie's own words - enjoy today's post!

So, I was praying the night before about how I could love my friend.  I'd been struggling with her actions because they weren't very nice.  When I woke up, I told my Mama what I'd been praying about.  And she suggested that I could pray to God in the shower to see if He would answer me about how to love my friend.

 I went and did as she told me and when I was in the shower, I asked God to help me love my friend and how to be a good neighbor.  And a verse came to me,

Love your neighbor as you would love yourself.  

We looked that up and it's Matthew 22:39.  I thought, "Hey!  That will show me how to love my friend, like I would love myself and not treat her badly!"

I went and told my Mama and she said, "Praise the Lord, you got an answer from God!"  That helped me love my friend, so I would know how to treat her and choose my actions carefully towards her.  It has stayed with me.  Because of that, we have a more happy and fun friendship.

That is my Wednesday of Wonder!

No comments: