Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Wednesday of Wonder - The Circular Sign

Today is about the bold God we know and serve.  It is about a God who wants to demonstrate what is possible to people who are seeking Him with their whole heart.  It's a story from my friend Leslie, who is seeking the Lord with her whole heart.  She loves Him and wants to love Him even more.  She wants Him to do miraculous things in her life, even if those things don't seem very big to anyone else.

They are big to her and to God.

2 Chronicles 16:9 drives home the point:The eyes of the LORD search the whole earth in order to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.

Not only is the Lord looking for those whose hearts on set on Him, His hands are as work as well.  He is daily creating wonders to demonstrate to His children how to follow.  Those wonders match up with His word because He promises us we will experience things far above and away then the miracles of old.  We are in the Age of Miracles.

These miracles don't get reported on the news but they happen.  They are stories waiting to be told, by the Author of our Faith.  Jesus doesn't mess around when people are reaching to Him.  He also doesn't leave us as He finds us.  (Read more about that here.)

Yet, the time is short, friends.  The wonders won't last forever.  He leaves it up to us to choose to believe in Him, and to live life on His terms.  Until we do, something will be missing.  He holds the keys to death and hell; life and heaven in His hands.  Ask Him to unlock life for you, so you can really live it, as my friend is.  Ask for your sign, your wonder, even if you struggle.  He will show you the right path to find Him!

Now, onto today's WONDER-filled post....


This all happened after I'd recently joined my current church. I had never had a home church until I found this one. 

It wasn't a megachurch, but not a small country one either.  The members are organized into community groups, versus the traditional Bible study or Sunday School classes. The community groups facilitate church wide studies and encourage service work along with fellowship. My group decided we would not do the church wide study, selecting instead The Circle Maker by Mark Batterson.  (You can read more about it here.)

The book is based on the legend of Honi. who lived a generation before Christ, a Jerusalem seer who drew a circle and wouldn't leave it until the Lord answered his prayer for rain.  Batterson builds on this premise - that God answers big bold prayers when we stay faithful to them...and to Him.  We stand in our own circle of faith, trusting only God to come through.

The Circle Maker was only the 3rd study I had ever done. I remember thinking how cool this concept was and how much fun it was going to be. 

However, being new to the church and to the Christian faith, I struggled with God.  I wondered if He was really there.  I still struggle.  

But in the middle of that study, I took my daughter to the pool one afternoon.  As she played, I sat at a table under cover playing some silly games on my phone.  A short time later, a gentleman  sat down at my table to do the same. We made some small talk and after awhile, he got up to leave.  

I heard him say something like, "Oh my God!  There is a circle rainbow around the sun!"

At first I didn't really get it but he got my attention, telling me, "You have got to see this!"

When I stepped out from under the cover, I looked up at the sun and I could see it.  There was a circle rainbow around the sun!  A complete circle! 

souvenirpixels.com/photo-blog/rainbow-sun.html
In that moment I realized God is good all the time and He was affirming this.  And He was doing it in a way that took my breathe away.  I felt he had done that just for me. 

I walked away amazed by what I had seen.  God showed His presence in a manner I could understand and He meets me in a space which is best for me. 

I learned to draw circles around my prayers in my Bible study, but what I learned from my circle rainbow is that God is wondrous!  He does wondrous things all the time and all I have to do is open my eyes and look!  He is in front of me all the time!  

If I will take the time to be still with my eyes wide open, I will see that God is good all the time indeed!

No comments: