Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Wednesdays of Wonder - What is God Sovereign Over?

A few years back, a good friend of mine asking me to pray with her for something "small." She couldn't find her work badge to get back into her office building.  So, we prayed together and on the way back to work, she found it!  She called me and we were both giddy with excitement at the wonder of God.

I've never forgotten it because the experience (still) speaks volumes to my heart about how Our Heavenly Father operates.  He cares about everything.  Throughout the years, I've wondered if the Lord really cared about the minor details of my life, things that probably didn't have much to do with His Kingdom expansion.

I don't believe in coincidences anymore.

He has proven to me His power knows no bounds.  He is the kind of God Who cares about our quality of life, here and now and works for us. He wants us to display His glory in every circumstance - regardless of "the size."  Our rugged (often annoying) cat Romeo is a good example.  Last January, he was lost for 3 weeks.  But he was found!  It was a "small" miracle for many reasons.  It increased my faith and spoke so loudly to my older girls. They saw God care about a cat being returned to two little girls who desperately missed him, when no one else thought it was possible. 

He wants us to be witnesses to His wonder, friends!

Why does He care?  The simple answer is: because He can.  He loves us!  Plus, He is sovereign over every thing and He cares about what we care about.  He is not an absentee Dad who packed up and left for greener pastures.  No, He is in the mix with us each moment of every day - working things out for His Children to have the best possible life here on Earth.  (Roman 8:28).  We might not always agree with when or how He answers, but if we look back, we see His way is always best.

He.Is.Sovereign.  It's right there in the word: He REIGNS.

He wants to prove it, we just have to try to believe it.  Two of my sweet prayer partners shared their testimonies with me about this aspect of the Lord; how He rules over everything - people, animals, situations and even appliances or electronics!  Marvel in the Wonder!

In Jesus' Name: The Dryer, Janice Wright
One day I was packing to leave town for a few days, so I washed my tennis shoes.  Later that day, though they were still wet.  So, I decided to put them in the dryer.  I heard them banging around, and then suddenly, the dryer made some dreadful sounds and stopped.  I rearranged the shoes and put some towels in with them.  But the dryer wouldn't do anything: spin or heat....nothing!!  I had to leave, so I just put the shoes in a bag and went.
 

I got home several days later.  I attempted to start the dryer but still nothing happened.  That's when I remembered God answer my Mother's prayers.  She trusted Him for all sorts of things most people would think absurd!  God always answered her in miraculous ways.  Knowing I was a believer in the same God she worshiped, by faith, I laid my hands on that dryer and prayed outloud, "In the name of Jesus, I believe and trust this dryer to be repaired and work perfectly!!"  I knew I needed to test it out, and prove I believed God could fix my dryer.  I put a load of clothes in the washer.  I began praising the Lord for His faithfulness, His care, His love, and for answering prayer.  After the wash cycle was complete, I put those wet clothes in that dryer and pushed the start button.  It began spinning......then after a few seconds, I opened the door to see if it was heating.  It worked perfectly! Praise the Lord!!!  

All this happened several months ago and the miraculous dryer is still working!!!

In Jesus' Name: The Digital Camera, Anita Oblitas
Last week, visiting colleges in California with our daughter; we had just come off the boat from San Francisco in the Sausalito bay. I saw an entertainer and was trying to take a picture of him playing the guitar with his dog.  Because of low battery and evening light, my camera failed to take a picture.  I had tried several times and it failed each time.  

I lowered the camera and sadly explained to him I was sorry that my camera wasn't working. Then out of nowhere, he closed his eyes, raised his hand and shouted "In the name of Jesus, fix this camera!

I was so shocked.  I don't remember what else he said but it was something about blessing.  Immediately, two shots fired off and even though I had the camera held only at waist high, the shots took two pictures of him!  The picture to the right is the instant he spoke out the command for the camera to work! 

Perhaps I happened to have had my finger on the button --I don't know-- but what is most amazing is I have never before been able to get a picture of a subject without looking directly through the lens (and I have tried many times to surreptitiously get one of my children). After he prayed, he explained he always prays about everything even when things don't work.  I took several other photos of him after that and talked about his talented dog "Diamond".  
 
Here is the second picture I got, perfectly focused, of him performing.  His dog Diamond has his own Facebook page, which you can check out here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Diamond-Dog-Sausalito/242481909170535

No comments: