Tuesday, June 2, 2015

2015: The Year of Prayer - Week 21 & 22

It's another combo post here at Jesus Bling.  Last week blew past and this week I am trying to get on top of things.  Last week was filled with all manner of spiritual blessings and warfare.  This week, I'm working to clear off my desk.  Last week was full tilt, this week is a snail's pace.

If I could make an analogy - for those of you who remember Astroworld (I realize I'm dating myself) - last week was a ride on the Texas Cyclone.  At times, it was beyond exhilarating and at other times,  down-right terrifying.  The Cyclone was never a ride I wanted to immediately repeat even if there was no line.  The rickety creaking of the world's largest wooden roller coaster was the sound of pure gut-churning, adrenaline-soaked adventure.  I could only take it once per visit.

This week, as it pleases the Lord, I would assume not get on a ride.  I just want to get a soft pretzel and walk around the park for a little bit.

As you might have gathered, whether from this commentary or if you follow me on any type of media, last week was flat out nuts.  It started with the 50 or100 year flooding levels, depending on who you ask, last Monday night/Tuesday morning.  There were some 50+ trillions of gallons of rain dropped on the City of Houston.  Some of those gallons found their way into our house, almost 1 year to the day of the last time that same thing happened.  Tuesday morning Dave and I stayed up till 2 am getting standing water off our downstairs floors - a full 5 hours of fighting the flood.  It nearly happened again on Saturday afternoon - prayer and my husband's clear-thinking saved us.  We are still cleaning!  We are lining up contractors and fighting the possible mold-mildrew creep in our walls.

(Appreciate prayers against that!!)

As if that wasn't enough (and it was), we had a slew of other twists and turns. Ella Grace had strep, Sophia had a cold and it was the last week of school; part of which included Natalie's 5th grade graduation activities.  Then there was The Release healing service Wednesday, which I lead in putting together.  It was the culmination of a month of personal prayer, fasting, reading, studying, meeting and all around preparation.  People getting prayed for, praying for others and each of us finding healing all over the place; all in marvelous worship of the full Presence of God.   It was awe-inspiring.

Thursday morning at 1:30 am,  I woke up sick. My throat was on fire. I was pretty sure I had strep.  Turns out I didn't but it was a natural assumption given my proximity to Little Bitty all week.

The funny thing was, I felt no compulsion to pray it off, even after just being at a healing service!  I felt like the Holy Spirit was revealing to me how far I'd pushed myself, spiritually, emotionally, mentally and of course, physically speaking.  It is clearly time to rest; my gas tank sensor flashing on "E." 

I recognize many events from last week were "just" life but many other things were enemy assaults.  There is great kingdom work going on in the City of Houston - which very much includes my own life.  Revival isn't just coming, it is here and there is nothing the enemy would like more than to derail it in any and every way possible.

He tried.  He failed.  But I got plumb wore-out holding up my shield of faith with such intensity.

So this week, I need a rest from the front-lines and I'm taking it.  God is gracious, understanding and abounding in steadfast-love.  It is in that love I find my strength, my rest and my promise for renewal.  Compared to the high volume of last week, this week is on silent.

One of my favorite passages is Psalm 131 (and not just because of its brevity).  I love it from The Message
God, I’m not trying to rule the roost, I don’t want to be king of the mountain. I haven’t meddled where I have no business or fantasized grandiose plans.  I’ve kept my feet on the ground, I’ve cultivated a quiet heart.  Like a baby content in its mother’s arms, my soul is a baby content. Wait, Israel, for God. Wait with hope.  Hope now; hope always!

This morning is the first time in 6 days I feel like myself.  I feel the energy and life starting to flow again.  I'm practicing the quiet with my kids, at the house, around town.  My family needs it.  It's summer, praise God!  Now is the time to rest, before swim meets, camps, vacation and the coming Houston holy-hotness of late July, August and September (and who are we kidding? October is usually pretty warm too.)  I'm still praying, interceding, studying and trusting in the Lord.  It is in this waiting, being on the look out for Holy Spirit's continued work, I will find renewal.  It is just what the Great Doctor ordered.

He invigorates the exhausted, he gives strength to the powerless.  Young men may grow tired and weary, even the fittest may stumble and fall;  But those who hope...search for...have trust in...wait...believe in Adonai will renew their strength.  (Isaiah 40:29-31, CJB)

No comments: